Parking in Westport
Part of Westport’s charm is its historic buildings and layout with narrow streets dating back to the 1830s when the area was designed for pedestrians, horses, and wagons. So, consider your best options to get to the area. Over 40% of visitors use the convenience of rideshare options, buses and taxis but there are many parking options as well.
Parking is available for public use on the streets and in several lots throughout the week with some spaces reserved by day for specific business use that are open for use at night. Review the information below for what works best for you.
Almost all of the 430 on-street parking locations have a two-hour time restriction during the hours of 10am through 10pm Monday through Saturday. While curbside parking is free of charge, a ticket for occupying a free curbside space for too long can be expensive. If you think you will be out longer than two hours, use one of the many off-street parking lots or garages in and adjacent to Westport, or consider taxi, bus, or rideshare options.
There are 24 off-street parking locations for public use in Westport with over 1365 spaces. However, many of the lots as well as several hundred spaces in the parking garage are reserved for specific business use during weekday business hours 8am to 5pm.
WEEKEND NIGHT PARKING (Friday and Saturday)
- Westport has many parking spaces for those that prefer to drive. Most are free anytime, while some close and convenient parking lots (marked clearly with the ParkMobile signage) and the Manor Square Garage will have a $5 fee on weekend nights.
- Download the ParkMobile app in order to locate available close and highly-convenient spaces and pay for prime parking on weekend nights (6pm-3am). This is the same app used for downtown Kansas City, MO parking and has millions of users nationwide. Westport’s ParkMobile is a set fee for the night. It is not hourly so visitors can relax and not worry about a meter. It only expires once you leave the lot or if the vehicle remains in the lot by 6pm the following day. How ParkMobile works.
- The Manor Square Garage can accept cash or credit card, whereas the prime lots only accept credit cards using the app or by calling 877-727-5973 to pay by phone. The revenue generated by parking fees helps pays for extra security staff, lighting, and security cameras in Westport.
- Vehicular traffic within the pedestrian zone on Westport Road and parts of Pennsylvania Avenue is prohibited from 11pm-3am. As a result, street parking in this area should not be utilized for anyone wishing to leave after 10:30pm on Friday and Saturday nights.
- City regulations prohibit removal of the street barriers to protect the large pedestrian presence during the 11pm-3am weekend times. Therefore, vehicles cannot exit or enter the area surrounded by the street barriers (with exception to emergency vehicles).
- No parking on Westport Road between Mill Street and Bridger Street is allowed from 9pm-4am on weekend evenings to provide curbside drop-off and pick-up from rideshares and taxis. Taxis services offered on the south side of the block while rideshare services are on the north side.
Rideshare, taxi and bus accessibility are increasingly becoming the preferred mode of transportation to and from Westport, especially during the evening.
- A designated drop-off and pick-up zone for WEEKEND nights is available for rideshares and taxis from 9pm-4am along Westport Road between Mill Street and Bridger Street.
- RideKC, Kansas City’s public transit authority, offers a variety of routes with stops in or near Westport, including routes 35, 39, 47 and Main MAX.
Westport enjoys one of the highest concentrations of bicycle usage in Kansas City. Free bike rack space is provided to park a bicycle throughout Westport with hundreds of people take advantage of this easy and healthy mode of transportation every day. The district is easy and comfortable to explore on foot or on a bicycle. There are multiple bicycle rental locations in Westport for use by those that didn’t bring their own bicycle with them. Bicycles can be rented with a credit card by the hour or by the day at the following Westport locations:
- At the northwest corner of the intersection of Washington Street, 40th Terrace, and Broadway Boulevard
- On the south side of Marsh’s Sun Fresh Grocery Store (4001 Mill Street)
- On the south side of Westport Road just east of Baltimore Street
Please note, on Friday and Saturday evenings from 10:30pm to 3am parts of Westport Road and parts of Pennsylvania Avenue are a pedestrian-only area. During these times, bicycles will not be allowed into this area.